2801 International Lane
Dane Buy Local
August 26, 2016
As reported by JSOnline, the UW System Board of Regents has entered into an agreement with Amazon Pickup Points LLC to open a brick-and-mortar location in the historic Red Gym on the University of Wisconsin-Madison Campus for online order pickup. Dane Buy Local was disappointed in the agreement made with an out-of-state, nationwide organization that could negatively impact Madison’s local retail businesses.
This agreement raises a number of questions.
* Does the University now have a policy to allow private organizations to move into public spaces?
* Will Amazon next open a brick-and-mortar bookstore in the near future on campus? See an additional article highlighting this possibility at amiba.net/amazon-mall-book-stores.
* Did the University consider the effect Amazon has on locally owned businesses in the city, county, and state?
* How was the annual revenue of $100,000 established and compared to other retailers on State Street?
* Will this facility be available to the general public or is it only for UW staff and students?
Further investigation seems appropriate, and Dane Buy Local is asking local media/news agencies to review and report on this move by the UW.
Dane Buy Local’s official statement: We are disappointed by the UW System Board of Regents’ haste in approving an agreement with Amazon. Amazon had sales in excess of $107 billion dollars in 2015 yet does very little to support local employment economies when all the revenue goes back to the home office in Seattle, Washington. Madison and the entire state of Wisconsin have strong independent businesses, which directly relate to a strong local economy. It should be a priority to protect this asset, and UW’s recent decision to move forward with Amazon does not show support for independent businesses.
Tags: press release