Resources & News
Most Popular “Evergreen” Resources
- Top Reasons to Buy Local (with footnotes and linked sources).
- Understanding the Local Multiplier Effect This is a key piece of public education campaigns, but inaccurate information is widespread. Get the facts!
- The Benefits of Doing Business Locally A great introduction to why doing business locally is so beneficial to community vitality. Contact us for customizable edits at various lengths.
- Building Buy Local Campaigns that Shift Culture and Spending. This 12 page magazine is free upon request (pdf in English or Spanish) or get a free printed copy with any order of “go local” merchandise.
- The Myth of the Franchise Advantage
- Seven Ways Businesses and Communities Can Counter “Showrooming”
- Why Use Spanish (and Other Languages) Marketing Materials?
- Partnering with Community Banks and Credit Unions to Boost Local Business
- Locally-Owned Businesses Help Prevent “Brain-Drain” February 2016
- Amazon to Open Hundreds of Actual Bookstores? February, 2016
- COOL Ruling Shows Trade Pacts’ Threat to Consumers, Small Businesses, January, 2016
- Flower Deliveries from Order-Takers: Advertising vs Reality, January, 2016
- Independent Pharmacies Save you Money, December, 2015
- Surveys Show Small Banks Providing Better Rates, Gaining Young Customers, December, 2015
- Small Business Saturday Keeps Growing, December, 2015
- Reporters: Your Readers Don’t Want You to Write Another Black Friday Story Either! November, 2015
- Keep the “Quirky” in ‘Querque, November, 2015
- Celebrate Small, November, 2015
- Championing Local Business in Wisconsin’s Capital Region, July, 2015
- Pop-up Stores as an Economic Development Tool, May 2015
- The Small Business Case Against “Fast Track” for Trans-Pacific Partnership, April, 2015
- A Cryptic Beginning, A Decade of Success: Louisville Independent Business Alliance, March, 2015
- Stop Telecom Giants from Suppressing Community Broadband, Harming Small Business. February, 2015.
- Local Economy Leader Interview: Laury Hammel, February, 2015
- Local First Milwaukee Has Localization Brewing February, 2015
- A Happy Tail of Going Local December, 2014
- Why Buying Green Means Buying Local October, 2014
- Enticing Newcomers to Buy Local by Jennifer Rockne, September, 2014
- Local Economy Leader Interview: Jill Castilla by Jeff Milchen, July, 2014
- 13 Tips to Create a Successful Cash Mob by Jeff Milchen, July, 2014
- “Free Trade” Isn’t the Goal of These Treaties by Jeff Milchen, March 13, 2014
- Six Common Mistakes That Kill “Buy Local” Campaigns by Jeff Milchen & Joe Grafton, Jan., 2014
- Holiday Shopping Goes Local by Jeff Milchen, November, 2013
- Amazon.com and the President’s Blind Spot on Job Creation by Jeff Milchen, July, 2013
- Teaching Kids the Value of Going Local by April Atwood, July, 2013
- Hashtags Come to Facebook! #SoWhat? By Alex Kelsey, June, 2013
- Should You Go Native? Evaluating Your Mobile App/Website by Kevin Leong, May, 2013
- AMIBA Endorses Reintroduction of Marketplace Fairness Act, February, 2013
- Great Gifts Don’t have to Be “Stuff” by Jeff Milchen, updated January, 2013
- Studies on the Economic Impact of Local Independent Business and Big Box Development
- For a more comprehensive library, see this page from the Institute for Local Self-Reliance.
Links and Resources
This library, created to supplement “Building Buy Local Campaigns that Shift Culture and Spending,” also serves as useful introduction to many relevant studies, publications and organizations.
- See our extensive library of articles at All About Amazon
- Best Sources on State Sales Tax and Reform of Internet Exemption
- Amazon’s Physical Presence (Nexus) in the U.S. and the Sales Tax Battle
- AMIBA’s Legislative Platform to Strengthen Independent Business
- Granting Corporations Bill of Rights Protections Is Not “Pro-Business”