Recommended Resources & News
Most Popular from AMIBA:
- Accurately Explaining the Multiplier Effect
Explaining the local economic multiplier effect or “local premium” is a key component of public education campaigns, but inaccurate information is widespread. Protect your credibility by getting the facts right and understanding key terms.
- The Benefits of Doing Business Locally
Supporting community-based businesses supports community. This is our most frequently requested article for re-publication.
- Top Ten Reasons to Buy Local (with footnotes and linked sources)
- "Free Trade" Isn't the Goal of These Treaties by Jeff Milchen, March 13, 2014
- Six Common Mistakes That Kill "Buy Local" Campaigns by Jeff Milchen & Joe Grafton, Jan. 28, 2014
- Holiday Shopping Goes Local by Jeff Milchen, November 26, 2013
- Amazon.com and the President's Blind Spot on Job Creation by Jeff Milchen, July, 2013
- Teaching Kids the Value of Going Local by April Atwood, July, 2013
- Hashtags Come to Facebook! #SoWhat? By Alex Kelsey, June, 2013
- Shop Local Raleigh's Brewgaloo 2013 Event a Success by Mark Weldon, May, 2013
- Should You Go Native? Evaluating Your Mobile App/Website by Kevin Leong, May, 2013
- AMIBA Endorses Reintroduction of Marketplace Fairness Act, February, 2013
- Great Gifts Don't have to Be "Stuff" by Jeff Milchen, updated January, 2013
- Studies on the Economic Impact of Local Independent Business and Big Box Development
- For a more comprehensive library, see this page from the Institute for Local Self-Reliance.
Go Local Resources
This library, created to supplement our 2012 print publication "Building Buy Local Campaigns that Shift Culture and Spending," also serves as useful introduction to many studies, publications, films and organizations of interest to independent business advocates and owners.
- Best Sources on State Sales Tax and Reform of Internet Exemption
- Amazon's Physical Presence (Nexus) in the U.S. and the Sales Tax Battle
- See our extensive library of articles at All About Amazon
- AMIBA's Legislative Platform to Strengthen Independent Business for local, state and federal government
- Granting Corporations Bill of Rights Protections Is Not "Pro-Business"
- Examples of t-shirts and tote bags produced by AMIBA affiliates
- Pro-indie videos and our recommended "how-to" resources for producing video clips
Note: AMIBA affiliates have access to dozens more such galleries and documentation of successful local initiatives. Learn more.