Resources & News for Indie Business Advocates
- Go Local Resources
- Gallery of IBA Materials
- Find an Independent Business Alliance Near You!
Most Popular from AMIBA:
- Accurately Explaining the Multiplier Effect
Explaining the local economic multiplier effect or “local premium” is a key piece of public education campaigns, but inaccurate information is widespread. Get the facts and original sources!
- The Benefits of Doing Business Locally
Our most frequently requested article for re-publication explains why supporting doing business locally is so beneficial to community vitality. (Contact us for customizable edits at various lengths).
- Top Ten Reasons to Buy Local (with footnotes and linked sources)
- Building Buy Local Campaigns that Shift Culture and Spending. This 12 page magazine is free upon request (pdf) or get a free printed copy with any order of "go local" merchandise.
- Seven Ways Businesses and Communities Can Counter "Showrooming"
- Why Buying Green Means Buying Local (October, 2014)
- Enticing Newcomers to Buy Local by Jennifer Rockne, September, 2014
- Local Economy Leader Interview: Jill Castilla by Jeff Milchen, July 9, 2014
- 13 Tips to Create a Successful Cash Mob by Jeff Milchen, July 1, 2014
- "Free Trade" Isn't the Goal of These Treaties by Jeff Milchen, March 13, 2014
- Six Common Mistakes That Kill "Buy Local" Campaigns by Jeff Milchen & Joe Grafton, Jan. 28, 2014
- Holiday Shopping Goes Local by Jeff Milchen, November 26, 2013
- Amazon.com and the President's Blind Spot on Job Creation by Jeff Milchen, July, 2013
- Teaching Kids the Value of Going Local by April Atwood, July, 2013
- Hashtags Come to Facebook! #SoWhat? By Alex Kelsey, June, 2013
- Shop Local Raleigh's Brewgaloo 2013 Event a Success by Mark Weldon, May, 2013
- Should You Go Native? Evaluating Your Mobile App/Website by Kevin Leong, May, 2013
- AMIBA Endorses Reintroduction of Marketplace Fairness Act, February, 2013
- Great Gifts Don't have to Be "Stuff" by Jeff Milchen, updated January, 2013
- Studies on the Economic Impact of Local Independent Business and Big Box Development
- For a more comprehensive library, see this page from the Institute for Local Self-Reliance.
Go Local Resources
This library, created to supplement "Building Buy Local Campaigns that Shift Culture and Spending," also serves as useful introduction to many relevant studies, publications and organizations.
- See our extensive library of articles at All About Amazon
- Best Sources on State Sales Tax and Reform of Internet Exemption
- Amazon's Physical Presence (Nexus) in the U.S. and the Sales Tax Battle
- AMIBA's Legislative Platform to Strengthen Independent Business for local, state and federal government
- Granting Corporations Bill of Rights Protections Is Not "Pro-Business"
- Examples of t-shirts and tote bags produced by AMIBA affiliates
- Pro-indie videos and our recommended "how-to" resources for producing video clips
Note: AMIBA affiliates have access to dozens more such galleries and documentation of successful local initiatives. Learn more.