You’ll find here a large menu of graphics, suggested activities, “how-tos” and templates. Pick and choose for your community or devise your own ideas. Please pass along your creations and we’ll keep the toolbox growing! You’ll find graphics with and without dates to use as you prefer. We provide these resources for free and welcome you to customize activities and graphics for local use. We simply ask that you mention us somewhere in your material. Please consider linking the phrase Independents Week on your website to help spread the word! Thank you!
- Graphics and ad templates from AMIBA
- Proclamations – for state and local governments
- Media tips and press release template
- Activities for organizations & in-store promotion ideas
- Checklist – a step-by-step guide & timeline
- Graphics and activities from local Alliances
- Sample social media posts
- Additional free tools (for year-round use)
- Stamping currency provides a perfect thematic tie-in
Studies and Data
Publishing commentaries about the value of independent business (ask us for help on customizing a local edit) and citing credible data about their economic importance can play a key role in raising local consciousness. These sources can help:
- Accurately Explaining the Multiplier Effect
- Ten Local Studies Show Big Benefits from Choosing Local
- Key Studies on Independent vs Chain Retail (Institute for Local Self Reliance)
Independents Week Overview Webinar
This webinar (1 hr, 10 min) provides an overview of elements of Independents Week, including:
- events and activities participants have included
- what’s worked and hasn’t
- the benefit to a participating group beyond the campaign
- how to make the campaign revenue-neutral – or even -positive
- how AMIBA helps you
Whether you are using Indie Week to debut your group, seeking to expand your campaign, or inject some new ideas, this webinar will help. Webinar led by AMIBA co-director Jennifer Rockne and Colin Murray, executive director of Dane Buy Local (Madison, WI) and AMIBA board member.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why instigate Independents Week in my community?
Independents Week is a positive and visible vehicle for bringing citizens in touch with local businesses to build relationships, awareness, and shift spending behavior. By adapting or using our free tips, activities and promotional templates, you can generate substantial attention with a modest investment of time and money. Also, the national linkage can help get local media to pay attention.
Do I need to have an existing local group in place to participate?
No. You’ll want to organize a steering committee to spread tasks and generate ideas, rather than shouldering the organizing duties yourself. If you’ve been considering launching an Independent Business Alliance or Buy Local Campaign in your community, Independents Week is a great vehicle for publicizing the idea and generating new contacts! While many of the ideas presented are useful for an individual business, getting other businesses involved makes a bigger impact and greatly increases your chance of generating attention form government and media
Can you help me get started?
Absolutely! Please feel free to call us with any questions. Be sure to email us with a brief description of your planned activities, which may allow us to help generate media attention for you.